McLintocks NewsRequest a Callback >
Insider – October 2018
Apprenticeships fall 31% in the last academic year
The number of people starting apprenticeships has dropped by 31% in the last 12 months, the Department for Education has claimed.
In the academic year between August 2017 and May 2018 there were 315,900 apprenticeship starts, compared to 457,200 the same time the year before.
Business groups including the British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) and the Institute of Directors (IoD) argue the apprenticeship levy creates barriers for employers who hire apprentices.
Employers with an annual pay bill of over £3 million are required to pay the apprenticeship levy, and receive an allowance of £15,000 to offset against it.
Smaller businesses that do not pay the levy are required to pay 10% of the cost of training an apprentice, with the Government covering the remaining 90% up to a funding band maximum.
Jane Gratton, head of business skills at the BCC, said this “has significantly increased the cost of recruiting and training apprentices” for smaller firms, on top of other
Edwin Morgan, director of policy at the IoD, said: “Firms are not against the levy in principle. Government has been talking to businesses about where the obstacles are in
the system, but it’s now time for action to get the system back on track.”
“When skills shortages are one of the biggest issues facing the economy, there is no time to delay.”
Time for a review?
Come in for a coffee and we’ll bring the mugs - just fill the form below in